Robben Island Ferry Ticket and Township Combo Tour151 Reviews
Visit some of the notorious townships of Cape Town, including District Six, and learn more about South Africa's apartheid policies. Then, visit Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned.
- Learn about life under apartheid in some of the townships of Cape Town
- Visit the townships of Langa, Bonteheuwel and Gugulethu
- Meet a traditional African healer, see local beer being made and visit a primary school
- Get the chance to support local businesses and markets
DescriptionExplore District Six, where 60,000 inhabitants were forcibly removed during the 1970s by the apartheid regime. Drive to Langa and learn the history of the oldest township at sites like the Old Pass Office and the monument to Robert Sobukwe. Learn about life during apartheid on a walking tour of the hostels and shacks. Visit a shebeen (pub) and try some homemade beer. See a traditional healer in action, and then drive through the Bonteheuwel township, reserved for the 'colored' community during the days of apartheid. Hear about the division of people and its impact within communities today. See the Gugulethu 7 Memorial to the members of an anti-apartheid group killed by the South African Police in 1986, and the memorial to the American student Amy Biehl, murdered by PAC supporters in 1993. Afterwards, get dropped off at the V&A Waterfront to take your ferry to Robben Island.
IncludesRobben Island ferry ticket Driver/guide Hotel pick-up Private transportation by air-conditioned minivan Hotel drop off Food and drinks (unless specified) Lunch Gratuities (optional)
- Please make sure to have the ID used when booking on the day of the tour (copies will be accepted as well)
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- The optional Robben Island ticket is subject to availability and weather conditions. If the ferry gets cancelled after the township tour has taken place, you will be given the chance to reschedule (based on availability) or receive a partial refund
- You will get the opportunity to support local businesses and markets throughout the tour
- The tour ends at the Robben Island ferry gateway. You will be asked to make your own way back to your hotel
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY