My Guide Website?
Cape Town: Robben Island Ferry Ticket and Townships Tour311 Reviews
Visit some of the notorious townships of Cape Town, including District Six, and learn more about South Africa's apartheid policies. Then, visit Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Cape Town:If youʻre booking your trip to Cape Town last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Learn about life under apartheid in some of the townships of Cape Town
- Visit the townships of Langa, Bonteheuwel and Gugulethu
- Meet a traditional African healer, see local beer being made and visit a primary school
- Get the chance to support local businesses and markets
DescriptionDiscover some of Cape Town's most famous townships on a guided tour in an air-conditioned minivan. Visit District Six, take a walking tour in Langa, and learn about Bonteheuwel as you drive through it. After, explore Robben Island on your own with an included ferry ticket. Explore District Six, where 60,000 inhabitants were forcibly removed during the 1970s by the apartheid regime. Drive to Langa and learn the history of the oldest township at sites like the Old Pass Office and the monument to Robert Sobukwe. Learn about life during apartheid on a walking tour of the hostels and shacks. Visit a shebeen (pub), try some homemade beer, and see a traditional healer in action Then, drive through the Bonteheuwel township, reserved for the 'colored' community during the days of apartheid. Hear about the division of people and its impact on the communities today. See the Gugulethu 7 Memorial to the members of an anti-apartheid group killed by the South African Police in 1986, and the memorial to the American student Amy Biehl, murdered by PAC supporters in 1993. Afterward, get dropped off at the V&A Waterfront to take your ferry to Robben Island.
IncludesRobben Island ferry ticket Driver/guide Hotel pick-up Private transportation by air-conditioned minivan
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- The Robben Island ticket is subject to availability and weather conditions. If the ferry gets canceled after the township tour has taken place, you will be given the chance to reschedule (based on availability) or receive a partial refund
- You will get the opportunity to support local businesses and markets throughout the tour
- The tour ends at the Robben Island ferry gateway, following which you can make your own way back to your hotel