My Guide Website?
Cape Town Townships and Langa Gospel Tour46 Reviews
Visit a choice of 17 different churches on a 3.5-hour township tour of Cape Town. Marvel at the African-style gospel singing and dancing. Help support local businesses and share jokes with the local communities.
- Visit the historic site of District Six
- Enjoy African gospel singing and dancing at Langa Baptist Church
- Go on a walking tour through the Langa suburb
- Drive through the townships of Bonteheuwel and Gugulethu
DescriptionAttend Sunday morning worship at the Langa Baptist Church, where more than 350 people congregate to sing traditional songs of praise, such as Uyinkosi Yamakhosi. Visit the District Six neighborhood and learn how thousands of people were evicted during apartheid. Get a warm welcome from the congregation as they sing, dance, beat drums and clap hands, and experience the true spirit of township life. Then, pass many small businesses, including herbalists, traditional healers, and barber shops on a walk through the suburb. See where the residents of Langa live, and compare the old cramped hostels with the new developments the government is building. Get introduced to the friends and neighbors of your guide, and share jokes with members of the community. End with a visit to the Joe Slovo informal settlement, and then drive through the townships of Bonteheuwel and Gugulethu to experience their dynamic vibe.
IncludesPickup and drop-off Transportation Guide Entrance fees
- This tour runs every Sunday morning, providing there is a minimum of 2 people attending. It usually lasts about 4 hours in total
- You can combine the tour with a visit to Robben Island in the afternoon or lunch in a township restaurant
- Bring small change for donations and to purchase small arts and crafts in support of the small businesses of the township communities