Township and Robben Island Combination Tour383 Reviews
On this tour you will visit different townships and the prison Mandela was incarcerated, giving you an overview of Mandela´s struggle against Apartheid and its effects. It will also disclose how those affected continue to struggle for a better life today.
- Visit the most important Townships of Cape Town
- See Robben Island Prison where Mandela was incarcerated for 18 of his 27 years in prison
- Walk through the Township of Langa
- Visit the Gugulethu Seven Memorial
- See the Amy Biehl Memorial in the Gugulethu Township
- Walk the streets, meet and greet the people and hear the sound of children play in the Townships
- Ferry ride to and from Robben Island
- A full day historical and cultural tour forcusing on the struggle against Apartheid and the effects of it
DescriptionYour tour will start at the historical site of District Six, where inhabitants were forcibly removed according to the Group Areas Act of 1950 during the Apartheid era. From there we will move on to Langa, the oldest township in Cape Town. Next we travel to Bonteheuwel, a township developed from the forcibly removed District Six residents classified as colored. Learn about the rules in these township and how they affected everyday life. We with the township chapter of our tour with a visit to Gugulethu, home to more than 300,000 residents. Here your guide will explain how this township has developed after the fall of Apartheid. We break for lunch at the V&A Waterfront, one of the top tourist destinations in Cape Town with breathtaking views of Table Mountain. Next we take the ferry to Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was incarcerated for 18 of his 27 prison years. Here you take a guided tour of the infamous maximum security prison and see Nelson Mandela's cell. After exploring the island you will be taken back to the V&A Waterfront by ferry, where the tour ends.
IncludesVehicle and driver guide Return Ferry tickets to Robben Island Guided tour of Robben Island A visit to Nelson Mandela's cell Fuel Passenger liability insurance cover Lunch Return transfer to hotel at the end of the tour
- Please note some venues may not be available over weekends. Robben Island tickets are subject to availability. Please provide the passport or ID number for all participants to complete the booking. South African citizen need not worry about providing a passport number but must provide ID number and date of birth. All passengers must then bring this identification document with them on the tour (passport, birth certificate or drivers licence). Copies are accepted. Tickets for the ferry to Robben Island are subject to weather conditions and availability. Every attempt will be made to book you on the 13:00 ferry, but if it is not available you will be booked on the 15:00 or 17:00 ferry. In this case you will be dropped off at your hotel and asked to make your way to the harbor at the right time. Rescheduling the tour date is possible, but subject to availability. If available, tickets can be rescheduled but a penalty fee of 65 ZAR per ticket will have to be paid in cash on the spot.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability