Cape Town City Hall
It was historically the seat of the mayor of Cape Town since it was built in 1905. City Hall is currently used by the Cape Philharmonic Orchestra (CPO) for their performances. It was also the home of the City Library – which has temporarily moved in 2009 to the old Drill Hall while the City Hall undergoes much needed restoration.
The building was designed as the result of a public competition and much of the building material, including fixtures and fittings was imported from Europe. City Hall is built from honey-coloured oolitic limestone which was imported from Bath in the UK.
On February 11, 1990, only hours after his release from prison, Nelson Mandela made his first public speech after his release from the balcony of Cape Town City Hall.