My Guide Website?
From Cape Town: Steam Train Ticket to Elgin Railway Market3 Reviews
Travel aboard a steam train from Cape Town to visit the bustling Elgin Railway Market with a return train ticket. Make the most of your free time here, enjoying local food, craft vendors, and live music.
- Experience Cape Town and its surroundings from a truly unique perspective.
- Capture panoramic views of Cape Town and False Bay over Sir Lowrys Pass
- Relax and catch up with friends and family whilst sipping on a custom cocktail
- Read a book whilst the sounds of the rail transport you back to a slower era.
- Experience local Food, Craft Gin and Beer, and Live Music at the Railway Market
DescriptionThis 160 km round-trip by rail takes you east from Cape Town to Somerset West, over the 473m high Sir Lowrys Pass, affording majestic views over False Bay and the surrounding mountains, and finally into the Elgin Valley. The Elgin Valley, being synonymous with apples, is one of the most intensively farmed districts in Southern Africa, producing 60% of the national apple crop (of which 40% is exported annually). Guests spend their time on the train doing what they enjoy best, whether mingling in the bar, reading a book, taking in the sights, catching up with family, or closing their eyes and letting their senses take them back to another place in time. Arriving at the Elgin Railway Market, guests can choose from food stalls offering everything from fragrant curries, Mediterranean cuisine, healthy Vegan salads, spicy chicken, Neapolitan pizzas, ribs and burgers, exotic Dim Sum, Mexican Nachos, delicious fresh juices, tasty biltong, fall off the bone lamb, and fresh Thai. Sweets treats are also plentiful. They include home-made fudge, ice-cream, handmade chocolate, and to finish off, a great selection of cakes. The bar serves local wines, beer and cider. L-Gin, from Elgin artisanal gin bar serves up local craft gins. The train then departs back to Cape Town with guest relaxing onboard for the return journey.
IncludesReturn journey to Elgin Railway Market by train
- Passengers are not permitted to bring their own food and drinks aboard the train No smoking is permitted onboard, but a short stop is taken at 90 minutes into the journey to allow smokers to smoke. Steam locomotives may be supplemented or replaced with diesel locomotives if operational constraints require it.