Hiking Safety Tips
Cape Town is home to a number of spectacular hiking trails, whether you're looking to ascend the highest peaks, or saunter through lush, cool forests. Hiking is not without risks, however, and there are a few things to consider before taking on any of the region's trails.
2. Stay on the path.
3. Take your mobile phone with you - save the Mobile Phone Emergency number 112 and have the Search and Rescue number +27(0) 21 948 9900 punched in.
4. Tell someone you know which route you will take and how long you will be.
5. Always take a map with you. If you get lost, stay where you are. Call Search and Rescue number +27(0) 21 948 9900
6. Be aware of your surroundings.
7. Always take rain gear and a jersey. The weather changes quickly and suddenly. Check our Cape Town weather page for hourly updates.
8. Take plenty of water, sun block, wear a hat and take a snack.
9. Ensure that your mobile, cameras and wallet are hidden from view.
10. In the unlikely event that you are confronted by a criminal don’t resist - just hand over your material goods.